The N8 Research Partnership is the collaboration body of the 8 major research intensive universities in the North of England – Durham, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, and York.
The N8 Research Partnership can deliver world class research capability with breadth and depth:
• The N8 universities employ over 19,000 academic staff (over 12% of the UK total)
• Total research income of the 8 universities in 2013/14 was £800m
• The N8 provide nearly 15% of “research power” according to REF 2014
• There are over 39,000 postgraduates (taught and research) currently studying at N8 universities. This is more than 11% of the UK total.
• Nearly 16% of the UK’s postgraduate research students are at N8 universities
N8’s role is to:
1) Promote deeper collaboration between universities, business & society
2) Establish innovative research capabilities & programmes of national and international prominence
3) Drive economic growth by generating income, supporting jobs and new businesses.
N8 is interested in partnerships with industry to drive forward our programmes in life sciences (industrial biotechnology, bioeconomy, agri-food resilience) and our emerging programme for discovery of targets for drug discovery.